Microsoft Windows Azure SQL Database supports some, but not all, of the programmability enhancements made in the SQL Server 2012 Database Engine. This topic describes which SQL Server 2012 programmability enhancements are supported in Windows Azure SQL Database.
· OFFSET … FETCH: Supported in ORDER BY clause.
· Error Handling: THROW: Supported
· Metadata Discovery: Windows Azure SQL Database supports the use of management functions sp_describe_first_result_set and sp_describe_undeclared_parameters in place of SET FMTONLY to determine the format of a response without actually running the query are not supported.
· EXEC … WITH RESULT SETS: Supported in enforcing contracts for result sets for the EXEC command.
· New Conversion Functions: Windows Azure SQL Database supports TRY_CAST for converting for all types, and it supports FORMAT, PARSE, and TRY_PARSE for converting to and from strings.
· New String Functions: The CONCAT string function is supported in Windows Azure SQL Database.
· New Date and Time Related Functions: Windows Azure SQL Database supports DATEFROMPARTS, DATETIME2FROMPARTS, DATETIMEFROMPARTS, DATETIMEOFFSETFROMPARTS, EOMONTH, SMALLDATETIMEFROMPARTS, and TIMEFROMPARTS.
· New Logical Functions: Windows Azure SQL Database supports IIF and CHOOSE.
· New Spatial Features: Windows Azure SQL Database supports enhancements to spatial data types; new and updated methods and aggregates for geometry and geography; improved precision, enhancements to the geography type; spatial performance improvements; spatial helper stored procedures; support for persisted computed columns; and changes in the client-side spatial programming library.
· Query Optimizer: The enhanced query optimizer hints, FORCESEEK and FORCESCAN, are supported.